Thursday, March 13, 2008

Real Bread

I have spent 15 years trying to get bread right and for the last two years my family only east home made bread. I make 4-6 loaves a week and freeze them. It took me a long time to understand bread, its tricky stuff. Firstly the flour is one of two most important things. In Trinidad the best flour is only available from the shop inside National Flour Mills on Wrightson road. It is called "high Gluten" and is not sold in shops. Its about TT$115 a 100lb bag. A sustitute is NFM bread flour sold in 30k bags in supermarkets. Bread called "bakers flour" is not as good, it just isn't I have tried numerous experiments. Having said that I am still miles from satisfied I understand the combinations of flour and what they achieve. I think it might be lifetime chellenge.

No comments: